You can pass on the store bought egg coloring kits this holiday, and try your hand at using natural dyes to make beautifully colored Easter eggs. Most likely, you already have the ingredients you need in your kitchen pantry of fridge.
Here’s what you need for the following colors:
•1 teaspoon saffron
•3 tablespoons ground turmeric
•1 bunch sliced beets
•Bottled beet juice
•1 bunch chopped spinach
•Petals from 8 marigold flowers
•2 bags frozen blueberries
•1 head chopped red cabbage
Once you’ve chosen your colors, mix the appropriate ingredients into a pan of cold water (enough to just cover the eggs).
– Add a tablespoon of vinegar
– Cover the pan and bring it to a boil
– Simmer for 15-20 minutes and allow the water to cool before removing the eggs
– For added texture, slice a fresh beet and roll it over the surface of your eggs to create an interesting pattern
– Blot with a towel to remove excess juice
Happy Easter all.