– Mice can leap up to 1 foot vertically and will jump against a vertical surface to use it as a launching pad to get extra height. A rat can jump up to 3 feet.
– Mice can produce up to 50 young a year.
– A mouse can become pregnant again within 2 days of having given birth to a litter.
– Warfarin is also used as a blood thinning medication for humans – in much smaller quantities of course.
– A mouse can squeeze through a space less than a quarter inch wide, rats only need a half inch (depending on the species)
– Rats memorize their environment by body and muscle movement
– A rat’s front teeth never stop growing, hence the need to continually gnaw
– A single rat creates 25,000 droppings in a year
Pests? Most definitely, but mice are just so darned cute and I admire their resilience and adaptability; I hate having to kill them. It’s a shame we can’t all live together in harmony.